Sister Ann Teresa Kamachi, MM
Current Ministry Location: Maryknoll Sisters Center-Marknoll, NY
Sister Ann Teresa was born in Shelton, WA, on October 4th, 1921 to Mitsuye and K. Kamachi; she had 6 brothers and 2 sisters. In 1939, she graduated from Olympia High School. A few years later
Sister Ann Teresa entered the Congregation at the Maryknoll Sisters Center, Maryknoll, NY on September 7th, 1943. She pronounced First Vows March 7th, 1946 and Final Vows March 7th, 1949, both at the Sisters Center.
After earning a B.S. in nursing from Providence Hospital, Seattle, WA her first assignment was to the tuberculosis hospital in Monrovia, CA run by the Maryknoll Sisters in 1950. She then worked as a clinical instructor and nurse supervisor at Maryknoll Hospital, Kansas City, MO, from 1956-1965; returning again to Monrovia, where she continued to practice nursing until 1968. That year, Sister Ann Teresa returned to the Sisters Center, Maryknoll, NY, where she served as a nurse at Bethany House, the nursing home for the most elderly and infirm members of the Congregation.
From 1969-1975, Sister Ann Teresa worked at the New England Medical Center Hospital, Boston, and as a private duty nurse in Boston’s Chinatown. In 1975, she was assigned to Hawaii, where she worked in Honolulu, first with natural family planning from 1975-1979, then in pastoral ministry from 1980-1982. Sister Ann Teresa then returned to the Sisters Center, where she worked in congregational services from 1982-1985. In 1986, she went again to Honolulu, HI, where she did hospice work at St. Francis Hospital from 1986-1992 and pastoral ministry at Tripler Hospital from 1987-1992. From 1991-2006, she was a Eucharistic minister at both St. Francis and Tripler Hospitals.
In 2007, Sister Ann Teresa retired at the Sisters Center in Maryknoll, and currently volunteers in the Treasury Department.