Sister Patricia Ring
Current ministry location – Center, NY
Patricia (Pat) Ring was born June 14, 1930 to Phoebe (McMillin) Ring and John Ring. She had 7 brothers: Leon, Delmar, Gerald, Kenneth, Norbert, Rev. Francis, SJ and Vincent. And 3 sisters: Margaret, Phoebe Ann and Rosamond. She graduated from the Mary E. McCahill Institute, Wabasha, MN in 1947.
Patricia (Pat) Ring entered the Maryknoll Sisters September 6, 1950 at the Sisters’ Center in NY from SS Peter & Paul Parish in Winona, MN and after attending St. Theresa College, Winona, MN. She professed First Vows March7, 1953 at the Center and Final Vows March 7, 1959 in Chile.
Her first assignment was teaching primary students in the Bronx, NY from 1953 – 54.
Sister Pat received her first overseas mission assignment to Chile in 1954 and began Language study in Santiago. After Language study, from March 1956 to December 1959 she was assigned to Temuco, Chile as teacher at Santo Tomas School and later as principal of the same school from March 1960 to December 1968. At the same time she was also teaching English in the English Department of “Universidad de la Frontera” in the same town. Her next assignment was to Talcahuano as Religion teacher and Assistant Principal at La Asuncion High School from March 1969 to December 1970. Later she was named the Principal of La Asuncion High School from March 1971 to December 1972.
Sister Pat took a year’s leave from Chile to earn her Master of Arts degree in Religious Studies from St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO from January 1973 to January 1974. Then, she was assigned to Easton, KS as staff of the Archdiocesan House of Prayer from January 1974 to December 1974.
On returning to Chile in 1975, she was involved in training Pastoral Leaders of Youth and Christian Communities in San Miguel Parish in Talcahuano from March 1975 to December 1979. Her next assignment was to Concepcion, Chile as Coordinator of the Archdiocesan Office of Catechetics from December 1977 to December 1979.
Sister Pat returned to the Center in NY in 1980 to serve as a member of the Maryknoll Sisters Admissions Team from January 1980 to December 1984 for Maryknoll, NY and San Francisco.
She returned to Chile in 1985, and was assigned to Puente Alto. From March 1985 to December 1991 she was engaged in giving courses for training leaders of Christian Communities and was coordinator of Christian Communities in the Eastern Zone of the Archdiocese of Santiago. She also trained couples for Marriage preparation.
Sister Pat’s next assignment was to Santiago where from March 1992 to December 1998, she was Pastoral Assistant in Santo Tomas Moro Parish, member of the National Commission of Christian Communities, provided Marriage counseling in the Eastern Zone and taught in a program for Latin American Novice Directors. Then, from March 1999 to May 2007, she was administrator of the Maryknoll Sisters Center House in Santiago, gave retreats and spiritual direction and Marriage counseling in the parish and Eastern zone of the archdiocese. She continued as teacher in the program for Latin American Novice Directors and was a member of the Diocesan team to train retreat leaders.
She was assigned to the Center in NY and named Coordinator of the Eden Community from January 2008 to 2010 when she retired.