Sister Teresa Lilly

lilly

Sister Teresa Lilly

Current Ministry Location – Maryknoll Sisters Center- Maryknoll, NY

Teresa Lilly was born August 28, 1927 in Brooklyn, NY, to Nora (Norton) Lilly and Joseph F. Lilly. She had one brother. Teresa graduated from St. Agnes Academy, Queens, NY in 1945. She received a Diploma in Nursing from St. Catherine’s Hospital, Brooklyn then served as a registered nurse there for eight years.

Teresa entered the Maryknoll Sisters September 2, 1956 at the Sisters Center in NY from Holy Child Parish in Richmond Hills, NY. She pronounced First Vows June 24, 1959 at the Center and Final Vows June 24, 1965 in Guatemala.

After her first vows in 1959, Sister Teresa received her first overseas mission assignment in Central America, where she served as a nurse at a clinic in San Pedro Necta, a mountainous region of Guatemala.  In 1969, she moved to Ilopango, San Salvador, El Salvador where she was responsible for the formation of Basic Christian Communities for adults from until 1973.

Sister Teresa returned to the Maryknoll Sisters Center in New York where she worked in Mission Education, speaking at local parishes and schools, from 1974-1975. Afterwards, she returned to Guatemala to minister in San Pedro Sacatepequez in the formation of women on the diocesan level from 1976-1982, then undertook the same ministry in Santa Elena, El Peten, from 1982-1987. At that time, Sister Teresa went to Guatemala City, where she worked with indigenous women and Christian Base Communities until 2004.

In 2004, Sister Teresa returned to the Maryknoll Sisters Center in Ossining, NY, this time doing data entry for the Sisters Development Department until her official retirement in 2007.  She moved to the Maryknoll Sisters Retirement community in Monrovia, CA, where she lived until returning, finally, to the Maryknoll Sisters Center in 2013. She resides now in the Sisters Home Care where she keeps the nurses, aides and volunteers laughing with her quick wit and friendly sense of humor.