Sister Rosemary Garrity, M.M.
Current Ministry Location-Maryknoll Sisters Center
Sister Rosemary Garrity answered the missionary call, entering Maryknoll in 1946, the same year that her brother was ordained a Maryknoll priest. In 1951, she left her home in Waterbury, CT, for her first foreign assignment to Merida, Yucatan in, Mexico where she would spend more than fifteen years teaching English, and commercial subjects.
In 1974, after earning her B.A. in Community Organization and her Masters in Social Work, Sister Rosemary returned to Mexico serving on the outskirts of Mexico City. The families had abandoned fallow farmlands in the hopes of employment in the city; however, their unfamiliarity with urban culture left them displaced, impoverished, and living in squalid and often dangerous conditions. On her arrival, Sister Rosemary found the entire community in desperate need of compassion and empowerment, and she responded with every ounce of her missionary spirit. Organizing women’s programs, helping to place children in good schools, establishing Alcoholics Anonymous groups, and witnessing to Christ’s love for the people in countless others ways, she infused new hope into the community. She continued work in Basic Christian Communities in Copilco-Santo Domingo, Mexico City with great energy and love until 1982 when she was called back to the States to spend three years in promotion and mission awareness in the Development Department.
Sister Rosemary began a new pastoral ministry in 1986, this time in Colonia Mezquital, Guatemala, forming Basic Christian Communities, using her pastoral and social work skills to serve the people for the next eight years.
After a final, seven-year assignment to Oaxaca, Mexico, beginning in 1994, Sister Rosemary returned once more to the Center, where she worked in pastoral care and helped with the Ossining food pantry. She was assigned to the Retirement Community at the Maryknoll Sister Center in 2012.