Sister Ruth Greble, M.M.
Current Ministry Location-Maryknoll Sisters Center
Sister Ruth was born in Philadelphia, PA and raised in Germantown and Mt. Airy. She attended Pierce Business School and worked as an executive secretary before joining Maryknoll in 1949.
After serving as secretary to Bishop Raymond A. Lane, Society Superior General, she earned masters and doctorate degrees in geography from Boston University. This led to two years in Tanzania to complete requirements for her doctoral degree. From 1967-1976, Sister Ruth taught at Maryknoll’s Mary Rogers College; served as its president and became Coordinator of the Maryknoll Sisters Center.
In 1976 she was in the original group assigned to the Sudan, a country suffering the effects of civil war. This group of Sisters and priests opened and taught in the Pastoral-Liturgical-Catechetical Center (PALICA) in Juba for ten years. Sister Ruth passed on the leadership role to the local church and then taught in the major seminary. When war resumed in 1992, the Maryknoll missioners and all expatriates were expelled. After a brief visit home, Sister Ruth returned to a liberated area of South Sudan, Chukudum in the diocese of Torit where she taught in a local primary school.
Though eager to remain in Chukudum, she accepted the position of Diocesan Procurator for Torit Diocese. Based in Nairobi, Kenya she was a life-line for needed supplies for all diocesan personnel. Together, with another Maryknoll Sister she administered the Africa World Section house for Maryknoll Sisters from other African countries. They helped Sudanese refugees and were able to continue ministry in Kibara, the largest slum area in East Africa.
Presently, Sister Ruth resides at the Maryknoll Sisters Center.