Sister Jean Maloney
Current Ministry Location – Korea
Jean Maloney was born January 16, 1930 in Syracuse, NY to Elizabeth (Davis) Maloney Hotchkiss and Michael Maloney. She had one sister, Joan. Jean graduated from Cathedral High School, Syracuse, NY in 1947.
After earning a Diploma in Nursing from St. Joseph’s School of Nursing, Syracuse, N.Y. in 1950, Jean entered the Maryknoll Sisters Congregation at the Sisters Center in NY on September 6, 1950. She professed First Vows March 7, 1953 at the Center in NY and Final Vows on March 7, 1959 in Korea.
After completing her novitiate in 1953 she was assigned to Pusan, Korea where she worked part time at the Maryknoll Sisters Clinic as a nurse in the Pediatric outpatient clinic giving injections, treating the children, as well as giving health education to their mothers.
After three years in Pusan, Sister Jean was assigned to a new work in the rural area of Jeong Pyong, Chung Chon Puk Do caring for the poor and sick. Three years later Sr. Jean returned to Pusan assigned as supervisor of the Pediatric Clinic where dedicated staff cared for over 2,000 patients daily.
In 1963, Sister Jean and another Sister were assigned to Kyong Ki Do, Kang Hwa Island to establish medical work where there were very few medical facilities to work assisting over 120,000 people. They established Christ the King Clinic. They also began an out-reach into other islands and areas providing health care, education and immunization of the children for disease prevention. In the parish of Christ the King they were involved in catechetical work, home visiting as well as ministering to young workers, for whom, with the Pastor, they established the Young Christian Workers Association (YCW) on the island.
Sister Jean was there for 10 years (1963-73) as administrator and director of the Clinic. The Sisters were then requested to begin a community of women who would dedicate their lives to serve the needs of the workers. They answered this call and went to Kari Bong Dong in Seoul. Here they gathered a small group of women who lived in community sharing their lives and resources, praying, working and studying. Sister Jean also worked in a small clinic to help support this work. This group was joined by the Prado Sisters who continued their formation. Sister Jean was at the same time Vice President of the Korean Sisters’ Association and member of the Executive Committee of Industrial Pastoral Commission of the Seoul Diocese.
Returning to the U.S. in 1976 Sister Jean served as a member of the Orientation Team of the Congregation until 1979.
She returned to Korea and from 1981-1985 served at the Maryknoll Hospital in Pusan in the Natural Family Planning Clinic, as well as with YCW members.
In 1985, Sister Jean worked in Seoul to assist AMOR (Asia, Oceania Meeting of Religious) which was to be held in Seoul. In preparing an exposure program for the participants they visited a “red light” district where they had a meal with several women and listened to their stories. Sister Jean saw the need for the Church to work with these women who had suffered so much and this was how Magdalena House was established in 1985. It became a shelter for women who were trying to escape prostitution and other disenfranchised women. After 13 years, this work was turned over to Sister Jean’s colleague and co-founder, Ms.Consecrata Lee, as director and administrator with a Board of Directors, including Sister Jean and another Maryknoll Sister. This work continues to flourish with a dedicated staff and residents.
In 1997, Sister Jean earned a BS in Psychology/Sociology from Maryland University and in 2000 an MA in Creation Spirituality from Naropa University/Oakland, CA Campus. That same year, she celebrated her Golden Jubilee as a Maryknoll Sister. In 2007 Sister Jean returned to the United States to mentor (as Orientation Director) women who were on their way to becoming the newest Maryknoll Sisters.
Sister Jean returned to Korea in 2009, to write the history of the Maryknoll Sisters in Korea 1924 to 2012. She also had a Bible class; worked part time with a group giving Partnership workshops for leadership training, as well as connection with the Magdalena communities for women which she cofounded in 1985.